I Went Searching For an Indian and Found I Was a Dutchman

I Went Searching for an Indian and Found I Was a Dutchman.
I've always been interested in history so when my Uncle Wayne gave me some information about our family roots I had to begin changing the way I've always thought about where I came from. We had always been told, "there's Indian blood in our ancestry, we just haven't been able to prove it". I have been surprised to learn that while searching for an Indian link, I found a Dutchman. Now I'm not saying there may not be some Indian blood somewhere but the prospect looks dimmer the more I find out.
I also have had some general prejudices about folks back east, especially areas like Ohio (I grew up in the Woody Hayes era and couldn't stand Ohio State). What a surprise (and God ordained I believe) to find we arrived in Ohio in the early 1800s, my ancestor fought in an Ohio Regiment in the Civil War, and came to Kansas afterwards. That, and some visits to Ohio, has adjusted my thinking.
And the other reason why-to keep communication between the far flung members of my family and encourage them to drop a note so we can keep in touch with the details of their lives. We miss too much by not being there in the day to day workings of life. So, leave a post for all of us.

Thursday, January 27, 2022

 What's In a Name?

The Bible says "A good name is more desirable than great riches" in Proverbs 22. Many times a name described a person and in some cultures the child would not be named until they exhibited particular traits.  Or they were named for the character the parents desired for them. Some were even renamed after particular traits emerged.  So what has brought me to this discussion?  Well, I've been thinking about a certain person and the connection back through time. 

The was a man with the name of Henry first name George.  I don't know a lot about his life story except he was a general at the outbreak of the American Civil War in 1861.  He earned the dismay and estrangement of his family when, as a Virginian, he stayed with the Union.  He was one of the Union generals at a battle along a creek in Georgia late in 1863 named Chickamauga, just south of Chattanooga, Tennessee.

By an error in giving a command (not by Henry) (that discussion will last through the ages) a unit was pulled out of the Union line and at the same time Confederate general James Longstreet attacked exactly at that point, routing the Union army.  The saving of the day came when Henry mustered the Union forces at a place called Snodgrass Hill.  The rebels attacked over and over, attempting to take the hill and finish off the rest of the retreating army, but they were unable to break the Union forces.  Around dark the Union army finally retreated back to Chattanooga, taking up residence there, and saving the army.  For his efforts George Henry THOMAS was named the Rock of Chickamauga.

MG George H Thomas (Am Battlefield Trust)

Part of the crowd that day, in fact one of the units pulled from the line, was the 59th Ohio Voluntary Infantry Regiment of which my great great grandfather, William H (Henry too but for Henry Harrison after the president-another story) Bartlow was a member.  Some of his unit may have stayed to fight on Snodgrass Hill, most didn't and fled a race back to Chattanooga.  I wonder though how much he thought of Henry when he was safely in Chattanooga.  By the way, the 59th, and many others of that rout, regained their face when a year later they charged a hill around Chattanooga named Missionary Ridge, and drove the Rebs back, eventually to Atlanta, and then the sea.

What makes me think William thought about Henry? Well, after the war was over, he moved, along with his wife and six children (along with many other soldiers and their families) west to Chase County Kansas looking for that free land and space.  In 1869, his first child, a son, was born there and he named him, yes you guessed it, George Hamilton Thomas Bartlow (I suspect he was guessing at the middle name but no doubt what he was thinking about with the George and Thomas part)

The family eventually moved to Winfield in Cowley County, in southern Kansas close to the opening Oklahoma Indian territory, eventually ending up in that same Oklahoma and George marrying a girl from Illinois, Louisippi Steele (the daughter of another CW soldier). They had three children, Francis, Lucy, and Earl-with a twist of the Rock. His name was Earl Irwin THOMAS Bartlow.  Sadly Lousippi died at a young age leaving George Hamilton with young kids. Thankfully they were helped in those years by William's wife and his mother Sarah (William having left for the gold fields).

George Hamilton Thomas Bartlow

Earl married my grandmother Rachel Icke and they began having children. A girl, a boy, a set of twins and then another Hamilton-my uncle Rex.  I never knew my great grandpa George since he died long before I was born, but Rex tells of his remembrances of his grandpa in "Zero To Eighty in Thirty Seconds, My Life Story", his unfinished, unpublished book.  I'm not sure if he knew of the Rock connection but he was proud of his tie to his grandpa Hamilton because of the character he saw there.  He was also proud of the Hamilton in his name.  He says, "He was my Hero and I am proud to have his name, (Hamilton). I hope that my Children, Grand Children and Great Grand Children can see just a little of Great Grand-Pa George in my life, because if they do they will see a little bit of what Jesus is like. I still love you Grand-pa."

Grandpa George with the grandkids and his Model A

So where does that bring me? A great story and very interesting but my name has no Hamilton or Henry, but it does have a Bartlow.  The Rock of Chickamauga intersected with the Bartlows in Georgia, 1863, due to a man of great character who didn't forsake his country and stood firm when things were hard. A man of character.  That effect has flowed down through my family history to today.  People taught to work hard, fear God, love their country to the point of sacrifice, and love their neighbor.  

And so the final chapter.  As you might know, I retired in July 2022, and looking for something to do, it was suggested by my cousin Brad (Rex's son) that I might volunteer at the Kansas National Guard Museum in Topeka on the maintenance crew https://www.kansasguardmuseum.com/.  So I did and the guys have welcomed me.  Men of character and honor who all served our great country.  They have my respect. But a strange thing has been occurring over and over.  I will be introduced as Rocky to new people around the museum and while they are all kind and welcoming it's not until someone says "his last name is Bartlow" that the smiles come out and the hand gripping begins.  "Are you related to Rex?"  And I can proudly say, "Why yes, I am".

Bartlow brothers. All (+ my dad Norman) served

The four Korea brothers at the Ks Nat Guard Museum

You see in that moment what the Bible says rings true.  That is worth more than riches can buy. Some have suggested to me in the past some shady ways to get ahead or make some money and I can safely say those things offered were never worth the price of my good name.  The name of Bartlow.  The Henry/Hamilton connection.  Maybe even the Rock of Chickamauga.  

Col Rex Hamilton Bartlow KSARNG

But of greater name than them all is the name of Christ, whose name I bear.  I hope to keep that name unsullied above all as I finish out my years.  I hope you're encouraged to take the high road and retain your good name.  Or if it's been damaged, start the road back to restoration.

Thanks for preserving a good name Uncle Rex.










Rex and Ardena Bartlow
Ks Adj Gen Lee Taffanelli presenting the flag to Ardena at Rex's funeral Jan 3, 2014
 


2 comments:

  1. Great account of our past, which influences our present. We have a great heritage, and with Jesus Christ, a bright future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, that comment at 5:38 PM on January 27, was us, Vic and Janie

    ReplyDelete